Thursday, May 3, 2012

Let's Mesh the Left and Right

Are you left-brained or right-brained? There are a million little quizzes and gimmicks that have attempted to answer this question for us. Hey, I'm even guilty of downloading an app that would tell me my "left-brained" nature again and again through a series of standard questions. However, do you really want to be one-sided?

Mark L. Fox, author of Da Vinci and the 40 Answers, has completely taken me by storm. I have just recently started to read his book, and I can't seem to put it down (only for now, so I can share with you some ideas). The first topic that Mr. Fox explores is the idea of the left brain and the right brain. He explains that the left brain is "vertical, rational, deductive, and sequential". Now, I am sure that many of you were aware of this, but do you really know what the right brain does?

The right brain "makes no judgement, has no morals, doesn't know fact from fiction--and the right brain doesn't care". Is it not crazy to think that half of our brain cannot distinguish right from wrong? As I read this, I convinced myself that I was definitely left-brained...I mean, I have morals, I judge, and I know fact from fiction. It was obvious, no?

Well, as I read on, Mr. Fox brought about an interesting point: if you only use one side of your brain, it means that half of our brain is wasted. After reading this, I quickly restructured my thoughts and said to myself, "Well, I don't really like to be wasteful. So how about being a little bit of both?" Mr. Fox concludes that the right brain doesn't know right from wrong so that you can have the freedom to explore ideas that have not been taught to you by experience or authority.

I was so intrigued by these new facts that I felt the need to incorporate them into something I am very passionate about: fashion. Was I the structured left-brained fashionista, or the whimsical right-brained?

 

Above are my interpretations of left-brained fashion (Ralph Lauren model) and right-brained fashion (Leandra Medine, aka "The Man Repeller").

I would like to say I am both, wishing I was more right-brained however. I feel that if you dress with your right brain, you incorporate creativity and imagination into all your styles. You are the rebel in the fashion world. I do believe that balance is key. But sometimes you need to let your inner wild child out and just go for it! Forget what people think...in the end, they will only be jealous of your courage.

So I propose that we all let our right-brain take over more and more each day. Don't forget your morals of course! But live a little and express it through your fashion.

Love always,
Mini




1 comment: